Thanksgiving means one thing and one thing only, deliciously sweet pumpkin pie! However, for us, and probably many of you, it needs to be dairy free and gluten free - are we right?!
So we got busy in the kitchen developing our recipe for this super easy and super tasty pie. If you wanted to make it even easier you could use a can of 100% organic pureed pumpkin, but we much prefer to roast it ourselves.
All the ingredients in this recipe are natural, organic and refined sugar free. We used 2x 12cm ceramic pastry dishes.
For the base:
50g ground almonds.
50g buckwheat flour.
2tbsp date syrup.
1tbsp coconut oil.
1/2 tsp ground cloves.
2 tbsp peanut or almond butter.
For the filling:
400g diced pumpkin
50ml almond milk
1tbsp coconut nectar/agave/date syrup.
1/2 tbsp almond butter.
1/2 tsp ground ginger.
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg.
1. Combine all the ingredients for the base in a blender until a sticky mixture is formed.
2. Half the mixture and cover the base and up the sides of your 2 small pie dishes to form a nice crust.
3. Blind bake these in the oven at 180 for 10 mins.
4. Roast the pumpkin with some coconut oil and the cinnamon sprinkled on top for 30 mins or until cooked.
5. Add the pumpkin and the rest of the filling ingredients to your Magimix and blend until smooth.
6. Pour the mixture into the pie dishes and bake until the filling has set and a knife comes out clean, approx 20-30 mins.
Eat it with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or a sprinkling of cinnamon. Enjoy!